2017 I began the practice of focusing on a word for the month, writing it on an index card, keeping it before me each day. Days turn to weeks, weeks to months and months to years, looking back and not remembering where those simple joys of the day went. What were the simple joys of the weeks and months that got me up each morning? I needed a guide, a way to remember. Although this is not an original idea, I made it my own. You can read about the general idea at Ann Voscamp or Lore Wilbert at Sayable.
July…Do…pray more, listen more, speak more grace
- Pray the Scriptures for others. This is a practice I have done over the years. In order to pray the Scriptures I need to know them.
- Listen more, listen well, listen to understand, not listen to reply. Listening well is one of the hardest things to DO well. Listening well involves not rehearsing what your reply will be while the other person is talking.
- Pray without ceasing
- Speak healing words filled with grace, blessing and hope
August…LET GO: SURRENDER
- of my way
- of preconceived notions
- of expectations of what life should be
- …choose the good portion which will not be taken away from me (Luke 10:42) I want to be like Mary, choosing the good portion.
2. …carefully obey God’s voice( Exodus 23:22)
3. …make my fundamental aim in life to know Christ (John 17:3)
4. … trust God in the now, this season and what is in the forseeable future.(Psalm 62: 5-6)