Purity and the Word of God cannot be strangers. I can have a pure heart and mind enabling me to love God by keeping God’s Word. v.9
- Do I seek God’s commands with all my heart? *Seek = to practice, study, follow, apply
- What is my treasure? Is God’s Word my treasure?
- What am I *storing up? cf. Luke 2:19
- Do I fix my gaze on family, career, cars, clothes, vacations? or do I delight and rejoice in God’s decrees and precepts? v. 14-16
Being intentional in the intake of God’s Word takes discipline, ooooohhh I hate that D word, and planning. A million years ago, okay not that many, I was the young mother of three children 5 and under. When did I have time to deliberately read and study God’s Word? In the midst of kids, work at home or away, and the endless activities of the home where exactly do I find time to make God’s Word my treasure?
In the words of Deuteronomy 6:1-9 and with the conveniences of today’s technology it is easier to make the living Word of God at the center of everything we do:
- Read God’s Word before you read anything else…newspaper, email, FB, Pinterest…this is easier said than done so…
- Use your smartphone, Ipad, Kindle or Nook to listen to God’s Word while you get ready for the day and as you fall asleep at night.
- Before you head to FB or Pinterest read the Bible on your computer or keep your Bible close to your computer reading God’s Word first.
- Listen to God’s Word as you exercise.
- Read the statutes of God before that favorite novel.
- Listen to the precepts of God as you get meals ready or clean.
- Keep your Bible in your purse, on the coffee table or on the night stand.
I could go on but won’t.
Lord help me to mediate on your statutes so I may not forget your Word.