2017 I began the practice of focusing on a word for the month, writing it on an index card, keeping it before me each day. Days turn to weeks, weeks to months and months to years, looking back and not remembering where those simple joys of the day went. What were the simple joys of the weeks and months that got me up each morning? I needed a guide, a way to remember. Although this is not an original idea, I made it my own. You can read about the general idea at Ann Voscamp or Lore Wilbert at Sayable
January... Embrace=accept or support (a belief, theory, or change) willingly and enthusiastically.(Google) accept, take to one's heart
- -embrace strangeness as a Christian, our culture is changing, being a follower of Jesus is not always popular, viewed as strange if we embrace a biblical worldview.
- embrace the empty(ish) nest..one of the reasons I began this particular practice, because my days, months and years would no longer be marked by a school year or events of that year
- embrace where I live...
- embrace turning 55-seems harder than 50
- embrace is different than accept-embrace life each day WILLINGLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY
- embrace new friends
- embrace humility; shut my mouth and be humble in mind and spirit
February... Engage in:
- More moments of humble submission to God
- More moments of foolishness exposed and wisdom gained
- More moments of courageous faith
- More moments of obedience to the pat of a sojourner
- More moments of forsaking the kingdom of self and pursuing the Kingdom of God (Paul Tripp)
March...Be Humble=not proud or arrogant, having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority(Google)
May God's Kingdom come in all I think, desire, and say. May God's Kingdom come in my marriage, family. work and leisure. May God's Kingdom so rule my heart that stepping over God's boundaries would no longer be attractive to me. I want to be like Mary.
Luke 10:42 "Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."