This post was written in 2009 but was inspired by my friend Elaine to write about how Rob and I got together. That story follows the list of characteristics written in 2009.
Far too often I sometimes focus on the things that annoy me about my husband. I thought it was about time to make a list of his great qualities. And if it’s bragging, oh well, maybe today’s marriages would be even better if we bragged instead of complained.
Twenty Great Characteristics Rob
1. He is a man of God.
2. He is a man of prayer.
3. He is a man of his word.
4. He is faithful, something I’ve never had to worry about.
5. He is funny.
6. He is the smartest man I know.
7. He changed the diapers of our babies.
8. He helps me to be the woman of God I need to be.
9. He is trustworthy.
10. He takes care of our family when we are sick, known as Dr. Rob.
11. He thinks of my needs ahead of his own.
12. He is the same person at work and at home.
13. He is a great and faithful father.
14. He perseveres, getting to Iowa when I needed him the most.
15. He is stubborn, not always a bad characteristic.
16. He gets up in the middle of the night to help with sick kids.
17. He teaches our children God’s Word.
18. He absolutely loves to read and study.
19. He encourages me to be a woman of God’s Word and not a “fluffy” Christian.
20. Most of all he loves me no matter what and I know he always will.
Rob and I met on our Bible college campus. He caught my attention walking down a spiral staircase in the library where he would spend most of his next four years. He was taller than me and he had a cute friend with a sports car. He had come to college to prepare for ministry and the young girl who liked him wasn’t sure of God’s plan for her life. We spent time together on campus and visiting each other’s families but his ambition to do very well in his classes was too much for me. He filled his days reading, studying in the library and working on his car. There wasn’t much time for me so I said ‘so long’ and we went our separate ways after we had tossed our commencement caps in the air….
A year later he was calling me saying he didn’t like how our relationship was going and it needed to change. I didn’t know we had a relationship. I was stunned when he proposed over the phone 500 miles away and more stunned when I heard myself say yes. That was almost 27 years ago. And yes there is a little more to the story, but the bottom line is God had a plan for Rob and I and He worked it out rather than either one of us pushing through a door that had not opened yet. God always has a plan that works out for our good and his glory.
Happy Valentine’s Day Rob- U Vol I